Rédactrice-en-chef = Editor: Jan Dorn

Rédacteur-en-chef adjoint = Co-Editor: Marlyss Hernandez

Colonne du Membre du mois = Member of the Month Column: Marlyss Hernandez

Sujets divers et humour : «Les meilleures de Chippawa Falls» = Trivia & Humor: "Chippewa Falls Finest", Dot Giessler

Les traducteurs = Translators: Alain Gariépy & André Dufresne


A New Look

February's FMOTM is … Nina Jackman

Interview with January's FMOTM, Helen Hlavinka 

Report From the AIFR

Our Young People in the News

January Forum Topics & Highlights

Chat News & Topic Highlights

Plant Care Tid-bits From Peggy

Chef Rivard Vacations in Mexico

Trivia & Humor Corner

The Editor's Corner


Nouvelle apparence

Membre de février … Nina Jackman

Interview de Helen Hlavinka, Membre de janvier

Nouvelles de l’Association des Rivard

Nos jeunes font la manchette

Les grands moments du Forum en janvier

Clavardage : les grands moments

Comment prendre soin de vos plantes avec Peggy

Le chef Rivard en vacances au Mexique

De tout et de rien et humour

La colonne de la Rédactrice-en-Chef



You will notice some changes in the appearance and the method used to post the January Forum News. Some of you may recall that when the Forum news originated in August of 2000 it was posted as a straight text issue via e-mail on the Forum. This method worked well but we found it somewhat limiting, in that, we were unable to use photos or an occasional graphic. Although, we don't use many photos, it has been very nice to be able to put a face to the forum member of the month chosen. 

Our hope was that by laying out the newsletter in this format that it would be easier to read for both our French & English speaking cousins and also make it possible to post without sending it as an attachment. After running a few experiments, it did look like that might be possible. Then the impossible happened when I upgraded my Microsoft Word program to Office 2000. So it looks like I'm back to the drawing board. I won't have much time to work on that until the end of next month. We will be busy preparing for the arrival of a new grand baby, which will be making his/her debut on the 8th of March. Baby & family will be coming home to grampa's house for a week so that mommy can recuperate from the delivery (C-section). Having mom, dad, 3-year old Hailey, and a wee one in the house will limit my computer time, but it will also be a lot of fun. 

Marylss will be the acting Editor for our February issue, so if you have something you'd like to share don't hesitate to contact her … Jan 

Vous verrez les changements apportés dans la colonne : Nouvelles du Forum lors de la parution de notre bulletin de janvier. Certains d’entre vous se souviennent des débuts de cette colonne en août 2000. C’était un texte envoyé directement par courriel. Ça fonctionnait très bien, mais c’était quand même assez limité car on ne pouvait faire paraître de photos ou de graphiques. Même s’il n’y a pas beaucoup de photos, c’est intéressant de voir la figure de notre Membre du mois.

Nous croyons que ce nouveau format sera plus facile à lire tant pour les cousins de langue anglaise que pour ceux de langue française et qu’il sera possible de vous l’envoyer sans que ce soit en document joint. Après avoir fait quelques expériences il m’est apparu que cela serait possible. Mais lorsque j’ai changé la version de Word à Office 2000, l’impossible est arrivé. Retour à la phase expérimentale. Je n’aurai pas le temps de faire ces expériences d’ici la fin du mois. Je dois me préparer à la naissance d’un nouveau bébé qui doit naître vers le 8 mars prochain. Le nouveau bébé et sa famille se pointeront chez Grand-papa afin que la mère puisse récupérer après son accouchement (Section C.) Ainsi j’aurai à la maison la nouvelle maman, le papa, la petite sœur de trois ans Hailey et le tout nouveau bébé. J’aurai beaucoup moins de temps à passer sur l’ordinateur mais combien ce sera agréable

C’est Marlyss qui me remplacera comme rédactrice-en-chef pour le numéro de février. N’hésitez pas, envoyez-lui les nouvelles que vous voulez partager.

February's Forum Member of the Month is Nina Jackman

Nina Jackman est élue Membre du mois de février

By Marlyss Hernandez

Traduction : Alain Gariépy

Our January Forum Member of the Month is a young lady who has contributed more descendants to the Rivard family than most of us. She is a lady who is very active with her children and grandchildren with their fife and drum corp. And she is always there to help a cousin out whenever there is a need. Nina Jackman hails from Michigan. She was also very active in helping with the 2001 Rendezvous in Detroit. Congratulations, Nina. We look forward to hearing more about your life. Notre Membre du mois de janvier est une jeune femme qui a retrouvé plus de descendants Rivard que la plupart d’entre nous. C’est une dame très active avec ses enfants et petits-enfants dans le corps de fifre et de tambours. Elle est toujours présente pour donner un coup de main à un cousin qui en a besoin. Nina Jackman habite au Michigan. Elle faisait parti de l’organisation du Rendez-Vous 2001 à Détroit. Félicitations, Nina. On a bien hâte d’en connaître un peu plus sur ta vie


By Helen Hlavinka (& Marlyss Hernandez)



Traduit par Alain Gariépy

Helen has done such a great job of telling her story that I can not improve upon it; therefore I am printing it just as she sent it to me. I have just added the questions that I ask above her answers. I believe putting the questions above the answers will also help our future Forum Members of the Month by allowing them to see what questions are to be answered before they are elected. Therefore they can be thinking about their answers ahead of time.

The first thing Helen wants to tell her cousins is "that I am especially honored to be included among the previous honorees of Forum Member of the Month. I was very surprised and pleased to find out the results of the voting."

What made you choose genealogy as a hobby and how does your family feel about your obsession?

About six or seven years ago, I received a call from someone who said she was a distant cousin of mine. "I’m having a get-together with some other Roy cousins on such and such a date. Would you like to come over, too?" Since she had mentioned some names of cousins that I knew, I readily accepted. My sister and I went together to Harriet’s house. We had a wonderful dinner and renewed acquaintances with the other cousins and met some cousins we had not met before. We kept in touch and attended a picnic with these same cousins, one of whom was Ray Miller. They had gone to the Acadian area of Canada and upper Maine to attend a Roy reunion. They had hurriedly put together a family tree book, but were dissatisfied with the hurried-up book they produced. They expressed a desire to have a "real" family tree book printed. We decided to produce such a book. It took about four years to produce the book called "Roy Family Book: From Acadia to Minnesota and Beyond." My contribution to the book was typesetting it and getting it ready for printing. I was able to devote more time to this project after I retired in 1997. My husband tolerated my sometime twelve-hour days very well, I think. There were many obstacles that we overcame to get the final product, but we are very proud of the result. It is a 500+ page book with over 900 photographs and many stories and much genealogy. I learned that I am a very persistent person when it comes to something I truly believe in".

What was the most interesting piece of documentation or story that you’ve come across in your research?

Since the other cousins on our committee had done most of the ancestry research for the book, I worked on getting my maternal Grandma Mary Roy’s line updated as much as possible to the present time. I called numerous cousins and second cousins to get their information. It was wonderful talking to these people and becoming acquainted with them over the phone. I have not met all of them in person, but I have met some of them. I’ve had many of them sign my Roy book.

What sources did you find the most helpful in your research? Did someone introduce you to the Forum or did you run across it by accident?

I believe Ray Miller told me he had genealogy information about my maternal grandfather, Octave LaCoursiere. His database traced Octave back to Nicolas Rivard. Ray also told me about Larry LaCoursiere and probably gave me Larry’s e-mail address. Larry introduced me to Betty Revard and I believe she told me about the Rivard Forum. I joined the Forum and went to the Rivard RV-2000 with Lorraine Naze and her daughter. I also started working with Betty Revard to produce a book about her husband’s ancestors. 

Was there one member of the Forum who helped you the most and why do you feel that way?

Larry LaCoursiere has played a very important role in my life. My husband, Bill, and I were fortunate to meet Larry and Lorraine two years ago in Arizona when we flew to Phoenix for the day and attended a Minnesota picnic in Mesa. I had no idea whom to look for when we got there, but Larry sniffed us out—perhaps by our blonde hair (I’m part Swedish). I also met them again at the Rivard RV-2000 and then again that summer when we had a "mini-Minnesota" reunion at Larry’s daughter’s house near Elk River, Minnesota. John T. Rivard and his wife Jeanne were also there and it was such a pleasure to meet him, as well as visit with Steve Loranger whom I had met at the RV-2000 and other newfound cousins. 

What other sur-names, besides Rivard, are you currently researching?

I am currently researching my husband's Hlavinka roots. The most exciting thing that happened recently about this research is that a cousin Lisa Hlavinka found the missing link of when and where Bill's grandfather came here from Czechoslovakia through the Ellis Island site. Dawn Dahle of the Rivard Forum has been instrumental in finding the Hlavinkas in the Illinois census records in the early 1900s. I had to put further CZ research on hold after Bill's mother passed on in October, but I intend to renew my efforts soon by contacting a CZ researcher that I "happened to meet" last year here in San Diego. Personally, I don't think things like that just "happen." When I ask for guidance and courage, it's amazing to me how I receive it.

Are you planning to attend RRV 2003 in Phoenix in February of 2003?

I plan on doing what I can to help Larry and the committee with the plans for the RRV 2003 in Phoenix. Since we plan on being in San Diego in February and that’s closer to Arizona than Minnesota, I thought I could help in some way to make the RRV a success. 


I was born in 1935 in Minneapolis, Minnesota to a Catholic mother, Anne LaCoursiere Swanson and a Lutheran father, Herbert Swanson. My mom was the seventh child of seventeen of those prolific LaCoursieres, Octave and Mary (Roy) LaCoursiere. She had infantile paralysis sometime before she could walk and always walked with a limp. I had an older sister, Gloria. When I was a year old, my cousin Rodger Swanson came to live with us because he had lost both his parents to pneumonia within a three-month period in that hot summer of 1936. There was no cure for pneumonia then. Thus, my dad got the son he had always wanted. And I had a brother. 

My sister and I went to Catholic schools. My brother went to the public school. It seemed our family was the girls against the guys. My brother was what my mom called "a problem child." He was a mean kid. Now I can see that he must have been very mixed up by all the feelings he experienced over the loss of his parents and he expressed them in a negative way. I never felt close to him as a child because I always knew he was not by "real" brother. He was five years older than I was. 

From the time I can remember, my mom and dad both worked. She worked in a factory that made stormcoats. She sewed the linings using a power machine. She would get laid off every year just around Christmas time. It was nice to have her at home, but the money was tighter without her income. She got paid per piece that she sewed. It was called "piecework." My dad worked in a marble cutting foundry (the kind of marble used in the construction of buildings then). He was proud of the buildings that the marble he had cut was used in and especially one bank in our downtown area. In 1999, he was recognized through me as one of the workmen in the construction of that building when they celebrated 50 years in business. I felt so proud to have him recognized in that way. 

I went through Catholic grade school and St. Margaret’s Academy, an all-girls Catholic High School. I enjoyed my years there and in my junior and senior years, I took a concentrated "commercial course," which involved intense study of typing and shorthand (with a goal of becoming a secretary). Upon graduation, I worked as a secretary in Minneapolis at various jobs for about three years. I met my future husband on a blind date in 1956 when he was home from San Diego on leave from the Navy. We became engaged after only two weeks (he had to work fast because he had to go back to San Diego). After being apart for two months, my girlfriend and I moved out to San Diego together. I started working for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. She worked for the Marines. 

Bill and I went home on a 20-day leave to get married in October of 1956, a short six months after we met. My friends said it wouldn’t last. I’m proud to say we have been married for 45 years, sticking together through thick and thin. Before he was mustered out of the service, we spent two months in San Francisco because he got transferred to another ship which was going to San Francisco to be in dry dock as the ship he was on was going to Japan for six months and we did not want to be apart for that long since we had just gotten married. 

I got pregnant in San Francisco with our daughter Debbie. I’ve always said she had a "belly button" view of San Francisco. She has not been there since, yet. We came back to Minnesota in July of 1957. A week and a half after we came home, my precious mom died suddenly of a heart attack. It was such a shock. Here I was five months pregnant with no mom to share my pregnancy with. She was so excited for me to be having a baby, because when I was 17 I had ovarian cysts removed from my ovaries and we didn’t know if I would be able to have any babies. We were fortunate to have four children, first Debbie and then three boys, Bill, Guy, and John. 

My husband started working as a painter, a career he pursued for forty years. At times it was very seasonable and he would be laid off for months at a time, most times starting around Christmas. (Shades of the past???) Somehow we survived. We bought a little house on two acres of land in a suburb of Minneapolis. We still live there. The City and the County have forced us to sell some of the frontage of our property three times because of making our dirt road (with no traffic) into a blacktop road with lots of traffic going by at 55 miles per hour. 

When Bill would be laid off, I’d go to work as a secretary for lawyers in downtown Minneapolis. Then when our youngest son John was born, I decided it was time for me to stay home and be with my kids full time. I started back to work as an Avon Lady when John was seven years old, but six months after starting, I was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymph system). Fortunately, I had good doctors, good treatments, a supportive husband, many wonderful friends, many prayers, and a more positive way of looking at life and I have survived all these years since. It was a very, very scary time in our lives, but we survived it. And I appreciate and look forward to every new day. Life is very precious!! 

After my year and a half of treatments was over, I worked at a small Credit Union as a teller-bookkeeper for six years. I then worked at a truck company as a secretary in the Human Resources Department for five years (the last 2-1/2 months spent flying back and forth from Minneapolis to Indianapolis where the company’s headquarters was moving). I had to make out my own pink slip on that one. It was sad to lose such a good job, but I worked as a temp for about nine months until I landed a job at a publishing company, which was only five miles from home. I had learned word processing at the truck company so I was hired as a lead word processor with the responsibility of getting typesetting up and running in the company. Previous to my being hired, they had sent all their typesetting out and they thought it would save money to have it in house. We got the typesetting up and running, not without a lot of obstacles, one of whom was my supervisor. I worked there for ten and a half years and came away at retirement in 1997 with a hefty profit sharing and ESOP account, for which I did not contribute financially at all. To me, it was a wonderful gift. 

After retirement, I spent the first 2-1/2 years working on the previously mentioned Family Tree Book. We have been fortunate to be able to spend three months each winter in San Diego. Since we spent the first year of our marriage here, it’s like coming home to us. Of course, much has changed, but it’s a wonderful place to be in the winter and we have lots of good memories here. 

Genealogy is my main hobby. We try to work out at the YMCA three times a week. When we’re in San Diego, we try to golf at least twice a week, sometimes more. I’m not a good golfer at all, but I love to be out on the different courses we go to. As a child I was more of an indoor person. Since taking up golf, I am outdoors more. 

As I mentioned before, we have four children. We also have eight grandchildren (five girls and three boys) and one more on the way. Our children all live within 30 miles of us and we see them frequently for family birthdays, etc. One of our granddaughters lives in Ohio now with her mother but she comes to visit her dad frequently so we get together then to see her. 

I have started writing "my life story," but it seems to get put on the back burner a lot. I want my children and grandchildren to know who I am and how my experiences in life have affected them and me in the process. I especially want to complete this work soon because I realize since my mother-in-law’s death in October that life is short. One of the things that I also want to work on is telling "The Gift of Lillian," my mother-in-law’s story of her life and times. I believe I will have just enough time to complete these two projects, along with whatever else God intends for me to do.

Again, I thank all of you who voted for me. I feel very honored and hope I can continue to offer what I can to this wonderful Forum. 


Helen a si bien raconté son histoire que c’est impossible pour moi de l’améliorer : c’est pourquoi je vous l’envoi tel quel. J’ai simplement placé les questions au-dessus des réponses. Les membres pourront ainsi voir à quelles questions les membres doivent répondre lorsqu’ils sont élus membre du mois ce qui leur permettra d’y réfléchir à l’avance.

Helen veut d’abord dire à ses cousins que : « Je suis très honorée de faire parti du groupe des Membres du Mois avec ceux qu’on a choisi précédemment. J’ai été surprise et ravie du résultat du vote. »

Qu’est qui vous a fait choisir la généalogie comme passe-temps et quelles sont les réactions de votre famille vis-à-vis votre obsession?

Il y a six ou sept ans, je recevais un appel de quelqu’un qui se prétendait une cousine éloignée. « J’organise une rencontre avec d’autres cousins de la famille Roy à telle date. Aimerais-tu te joindre à nous? » Comme elle avait mentionné le nom de certains cousins que je connaissais, j’ai immédiatement accepté. Ma sœur et moi sommes allées ensemble chez Harriet. Nous avons eu un dîner fort agréable et nous avons renoué les liens avec certains cousins et nous en avons rencontré d’autres que nous n’avions encore jamais rencontrés. Nous avons gardé le contact et nous sommes revus lors d’un pique-nique; un de ces cousins était Ray Miller. Ils revenaient d’un voyage en Acadie au Canada et au Maine où ils avaient participé à une réunion de la famille Roy. Ils avaient fait très rapidement un album de famille, mais ils étaient insatisfaits du résultat. Ils voulaient avoir un vrai album de famille imprimé. Nous avons décidé de faire cet album. Pendant quatre ans, nous avons préparé un livre que nous avons intitulé, «Le livre de la famille Roy; De l’Acadie au Minnesota et au-delà. » J’ai contribué en faisant la composition et j’ai préparé le livre pour l’impression. J’avais plus de temps libre après ma retraite en 1997. Mon mari tolérait bien que je travaille à certain moment jusqu’à douze heures par jour, je crois. Nous avons du passer à travers plusieurs obstacles, mais nous sommes très fiers du résultat final. C’est un livre de plus de 500 pages, de plus de 900 photographies avec plusieurs et beaucoup de généalogie. J’ai appris que je suis très patiente lorsque je crois à une cause. »

Quel est la documentation ou l’histoire la plus intéressante que tu as trouvé lors de tes recherches?

Comme les autres cousins de notre groupe avaient fait la plupart des recherches pour notre livre, j’ai surtout mis à date les informations sur la branche de ma grand-mère Mary Roy. J’ai du téléphoner à plusieurs de mes cousins de premier et second degré afin de d’obtenir l’information relative à leur famille. J’ai trouvé merveilleux de parler à toutes ces personnes et de mieux les connaître par le téléphone. Je ne les ai pas encore tous rencontré en personne. Mais plusieurs ont autographié mon livre Roy.

Quelle furent tes sources d’information les plus utiles lors de tes recherches? Est-ce quelqu’un t’a parlé du Forum ou y es-tu arrivé par accident?

C’est Ray Miller qui avait des informations généalogiques sur mon grand-père maternel, Octave LaCoursière. Sa base de données permettait de remonter de mon grand-père Octave jusqu’à Nicolas Rivard. Ray me parla aussi de Larry LaCoursière et m’a probablement transmis son adresse de courriel. Larry m’a présenté Betty Rivard et je crois que c’est elle qui m’a parlé du Forum des Rivard. Je suis devenue membre du Forum et je suis allée à la réunion RV-2000 avec Lorraine Naze et sa fille. J’ai commencé également des travaux avec Betty Rivard qui doit écrire un livre sur les ancêtres de son mari.

Quel est le membre du Forum qui t’a le plus aidé et pourquoi?

Larry LaCoursière a joué un très grand rôle dans ma vie. Mon mari, Bill et moi avons eu le plaisir de rencontrer Larry et Lorraine en Arizona il y a deux ans lorsque nous avons pris l’avion pour Phénix afin d’assister à un pique-nique à Mesa. J’ignorais complètement qui nous allions rencontrer à cette occasion, mais Larry est venu vers nous, peut-être à cause de mes cheveux blonds car je suis aussi de descendance suédoise. Je les ai aussi rencontrés durant RV-2000 et à nouveau durant cette année-là durant la réunion « Mini-Minnesota » chez la fille de Larry à Elk River, Minnesota. John T. Rivard et son épouse Jeanne étaient également là; Ce fut un très grand plaisir de les rencontrer de même que Steve Loranger que j’avais connu durant RV-2000 et d’autres nouveaux cousins.

Quelles autres familles en plus des Rivard recherches-tu?

Je recherche présentement les racines Hhlavinka de mon mari. Il m’est arrivé récemment une chose très excitante a propos de cette recherche. Une cousine Lisa Hhlavinka a trouvé le lien qui me manquait. Je voulais savoir de quel endroit en Tchécoslovaquie et quand le grand-pèrede Bill était passé à Ellis Island. Dawn Dahle m’a été d’un grand secours en trouvant les Hhlevinka dans le recensement de l’Illinois vers 1900. J’ai du suspendre mes recherches en Tchécoslovaquie après le décès de la mère de Bill en octobre dernier, mais j’ai l’intention de recommencer avec un chercheur tchécoslovaque que j’ai rencontré par hasard l’an dernier à San Diego. Personnellement, je crois que les choses n’arrivent pas par hasard. Lorsque je prie pour avoir du courage et de l’orientation, c’est amusant de voir que j’en reçois.

Assisteras-tu à RRV2003 en février 2003 en Arizona?

Je eux aider le plus possible Larry et le comité en vue de RRV 2003 à Phœnix. Comme je dois aller à San Diego en février et que c’est plus près de l’Arizona que le Minnesota, je crois que je peux aider d’une certaine façon à faire de RRV un succès.


Je suis née en 1935 à Minneapolis, Minnesota. Ma mère Anne LaCoursière Swanson était catholique et mon père luthérien. Ma mère était la septième de dix-sept enfants de la prolifique famille LaCoursière, Octave et Mary (Roy.) Elle a eu la paralysie infantile juste avant de marcher, c’est pourquoi elle a toujours eu une légère claudication. J’avais une sœur plus âgée, Gloria. J’avais un an quand mon cousin Rodger Swanson est venu demeurer chez nous. Ses parents étaient tous deux décédés de pneumonie à trois mois d’intervalle durant l’été chaud de 1936. Aucun remède ne pouvait vaincre la pneumonie à l’époque. Mon père a ainsi eu le fils qu’il avait toujours désiré. Et moi un frère.

Ma sœur et moi sommes allées dans des écoles catholiques, mon frère à l’école publique. Il semble que dans notre famille c’était les garçons contre les filles. Mon frère était ce que ma mère appelait « un enfant à problèmes. » C’était un enfant minable. Aujourd’hui, je réalise qu’il était sans doute perturbé par la perte de ses parents ce qu’il exprimait d’une façon négative. Je n’ai jamais été proche de lui parce que je savais qu’il n’était pas mon « vrai » frère. Il avait cinq ans de plus que moi.

D’aussi loin que je me rappelle, ma mère et mon père ont toujours travaillé; ma mère dans une usine qui produisait des manteaux. Elle cousait les doublures avec une machine à coudre électrique. Elle était congédiée tous les ans durent la période de Noël. Tant mieux pour nous, nous l’avions alors à la maison, mais le budget était plus serré sans son apport. On la payait à la pièce. On appelait cela du travail à la pièce. Mon père travaillait dans une usine où on coupait le marbre (une sorte de marbre utilisé alors pour la construction de maisons) Il était fier des maisons qui avaient été construites avec le marbre de son entreprise, mais tout spécialement d’une banque située dans le centre-ville. En 1999, on l’a honoré, par mon intermédiaire, comme un des constructeurs de cet édifice dont on célébrait le cinquantième anniversaire en affaires. J’étais bien fière de cette reconnaissance.

Je suis allée à l’école catholique et à l’Académie Sainte-Marguerite, une école pour filles. J’ai bien aimé ces années. J’ai fait un cours commercial avec spécialisation en sténo et en dactylo (dans le but de devenir secrétaire.) Après ma graduation, j’ai travaillé durant trois ans comme secrétaire dans différentes entreprises de Minneapolis. J’ai rencontré mon futur mari en 1956. Il était dans la Marine à San Diego et il était en permission. Nous nous sommes fiancés au bout de seulement deux semaines (nous devions faire vite car il repartait pour San Diego.) Après deux mois de séparation, j’ai déménagé à San Diego avec une amie. Je me suis dénichée un emploi dans les services d’immigration; mon amie pour la Marine.

Bill et moi avons obtenu un congé de 20 jours en octobre 1956 pour nous permettre de nous marier, un peu moins de six mois après notre première rencontre. Je suis fière de dire que notre mariage dure depuis quarante-cinq ans à travers ses hauts et ses bas.. Le bateau sur lequel il était, devait aller au Japon pour une période de six mois. Mais comme nous étions nouvellement mariés, nous ne voulions pas être si loin un de l’autre durant tout ce temps; il put être transféré sur un bateau qui allait en cale sèche à San Francisco; nous y avons passé deux mois.

C’est à San Francisco que je devins enceinte de notre fille Debbie. J’ai toujours dit qu’elle avait imprimé sur le nombril une vue de San Francisco. Elle n’y est pas encore retournée. Nous sommes revenus au Minnesota en 1957. Une semaine et demie après notre retour ma mère est décédée subitement d’une attaque cardiaque. Quelle catastrophe! J’étais enceinte de cinq mois et il me devenait impossible de partager ma grossesse avec elle, elle qui était si excitée de me voir enceinte. En effet, à l’âge de 17 ans, on avait du me retirer des kystes sur les ovaires. On ignorait alors si je pouvais avoir des enfants. Nous sommes bénis d’en avoir eu quatre : Debbie d’abord, puis trois garçons : Bill, Guy and John.

Mon mari a pris un travail comme peintre, un métier qu’il a pratiqué durant quarante ans. C’était parfois un travail très saisonnier et il était sans emploi pendant de longues périodes, commençant surtout dans la période de Noël (Souvenirs du passé???) Nous avons survécu. Noua nous sommes achetés une petite maison avec deux acres de terrain dans la banlieue de Minneapolis. Nous y vivons encore. La ville et le comté nous ont obligé à vendre à trois reprises une partie de l’avant de notre terrain pour faire d’une route pleine de poussière (mais sans circulation) une route asphaltée avec une grande circulation filant à 55 milles à l’heure.

Lorsque Bill perdait ses emplois, j’allais travailler comme secrétaire dans les bureaux d’avocats du centre-ville de Minneapolis. Mais lorsque notre plus jeune fils John est né j’ai cru devoir demeurer à la maison afin d’être mère à plein temps. Lorsque John a eu sept ans, je suis devenue représentante de Avon; mais six mois plus tard, on diagnostiquait un lymphocarsome (cancer du système lymphatique.) Heureusement, j’avais de bons médecins, de bons traitements, un mari qui me donnait tout son soutien, de merveilleux amis, beaucoup de prières, et une façon plus positive d’envisager le futur. Je survis depuis ce temps. Nous avons eu très peur durant cette période, mais nous avons passé à travers. J’apprécie chaque jour que je vis et j’envisage le lendemain avec confiance. La vie est très précieuse.

Après un an et demi de traitements, j’ai travaillé pendant six ans pour une Caisse Credit Union comme caissière et teneur de livres. Par la suite je suis devenu pendant cinq ans la secrétaire d’une compagnie de camionnage ( les deux derniers en voyageant entre Minneapolis et Indianapolis où la compagnie déménageait ses quartiers-généraux.) J’ai du faire moi-même mon bon de chômage. J’étais très peiné de perdre un si bel emploi. J’ai ensuite travaillé comme temporaire pendant neuf mois pour aboutir dans une compagnie d’édition située à seulement cinq milles de chez moi. J’avais appris le traitement de texte à la compagnie de camionnage. On m’a engagé pour mettre sur pied un secteur de mise en page, travail qui était jusqu’alors donné à contrat. La compagnie croyait ainsi faire plus d’argent. Nous avons monté ce secteur et tout fonctionna non sans bien des obstacles dont l’un était mon contremaître. J’y ai travaillé durant dix ans et demi et j’y ai pris ma retraite en 1977 avec un partage des profits et un fonds de retraite pour lequel je n’ai jamais déboursé un sou. Pour moi c’était un merveilleux cadeau.

Lors de ma retraite, j’ai travaillé sur le livre de famille dont j’ai parlé précédemment. Je suis bien chanceuse de passer trois mois chaque hiver à San Diego. Puisque nous avons passé trois mois dans cette ville la première année de notre mariage, c’est comme si nous revenions à la maison. Naturellement, tout a changé, mais c’est bien durant l’hiver et nous conservons de très beaux souvenirs.

La généalogie est mon principal passe-temps. Je tente d’aller trois fois par semaine au YMCA,. A San Diego, c’est le golf trois fois par semaine, quelquefois plus. Je ne suis pas très bonne, mais j’aime bien fréquenter les différents parcours où nous allons. Enfant, je restais plutôt à l’intérieur. Avec le golf, je vais maintenant plus au grand air.

J’ai dit plutôt que nous avons quatre enfants. Nous avons également huit petits-enfants (cinq filles et trois garçons) et un qui arrivera bientôt. Nos enfants vivent tous dans un rayon de trente milles de nous et nous les voyons fréquemment pour les fêtes d’anniversaire, etc. Une de nos petites-filles vit maintenant en Ohio avec sa mère, mais elle vient souvent voir son père et nous la voyons en ces occasions.

J’ai commencé à écrire l’histoire de ma vie, mais il semble que je retarde quelque peu. Je veux que mes enfants et mes petits-enfants sachent qui je suis et leur montrer de quelles façons mes diverses expériences ont pu affecter leur vie et la mienne. Je viens de réaliser lors de la mort de ma belle-mère comment la vie est courte. Je veux donc compléter ce travail. Je veux également écrire sur « Le cadeau de Lilian » soit l’histoire de la vie de ma belle-mère. Je crois avoir juste assez de temps pour compléter ces deux projets en même temps que ce que Dieu me demandera de faire.

Encore une fois, merci à tous ceux qui ont voté pour moi. J’en suis très honorée. J’espère bien continuer à offrir ce que je peux à ce merveilleux forum.





Par André Dufresne

The I.A.R.F. made a lucky find a few weeks ago: we came across an old chest in which, we are told, Nicolas Rivard brought along his personal belongings when he sailed from France to Canada in 1648. This old chest lies in the attic of a 300-year old house in the Trois-Rivières area. This house was built by a grandson of Nicolas Rivard and it was handed down the generations from Rivard to Rivard until the late 1980's. It was then sold twice, intact, with all its original contents.

The present owners revealed that when they bought the house, this old chest was full with old documents dating back to the mid 1600's. The I.A.R.F. has offered to photograph each and every page, to put these pictures on a CD and to make a readable transcription of all the documents. The I.A.R.F. is committed to achieve this goal as soon as possible, in fact it is our priority. Several members have already offered to pay for a sizeable part of the total cost.

The I.A.R.F. board members were treated to a visit of the old church of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade, where we discovered that the basement contains a crypt with a great number of persons buried there. The crypt is not open to the public but we were allowed a visit. Among those buried in the crypt is the late Sir George William Ross, former Prime Minister of the Province of Québec and his wife, a Rivard.

The committee responsible for La Rivardière is working hard on the next issue, due in late March or early April. We hope to have several articles about Robert Rivard, as the year 2002 is the 340th anniversary of his arrival in Canada.

L'A.I.F.R. a eu la surprise de découvrir il y a quelques semaines un coffre que l'on croit être celui dans lequel Nicolas Rivard a transporté ses affaires personnelles lorsqu'il a traversé l'Atlantique pour venir au Canada en 1648. Ce coffre se trouve toujours dans le grenier d'une maison âgée de 300 ans située dans la région de Trois-Rivières. Cette maison a été construite par un petit-fils de Nicolas Rivard et elle est passée à ses descendants Rivard de génération en génération jusqu'à la fin des années 1980. Depuis, elle a été vendue deux fois, intacte, avec tout son contenu.

Les propriétaires actuels ont révélé à l'A.I.F.R. que lorsqu'ils ont acheté la maison, ce vieux coffre contenait une quantité importante de vieux documents qui remonteraient jusqu'au milieu des années 1600. L'A.I.F.R. a proposé aux propriétaires de faire photographier tous ces documents, de les mettre sur CD et d'en faire la transcription. La réalisation de ce projet d'envergure est une priorité et plusieurs membres de l'A.I.F.R. ont déjà offert d'acquitter une partie substantielle du coût de l'opération.

Les membres du conseil d'administration de l'A.I.F.R. ont eu aussi le privilège de visiter la vieille église de Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade, où nous avons eu la surprise de découvrir que le sous-sol renferme une crypte comptant un grand nombre de défunts. Cette crypte n'est pas ouverte au public mais le guide nous a permis de la visiter. Parmi les gisants, Sir George William Ross, ancien premier ministre de la province de Québec et son épouse, une Rivard.

Le comité de rédaction de La Rivardière travaille au prochain numéro, prévu vers la fin mars ou le début avril et nous comptons faire une large part à Robert Rivard, dont l'année 2002 marque le 340e anniversaire de son arrivée au Canada.




Coyotes bring home tournament prizes

Les Coyotes remportent des prix. 

Richardson named to All Tourney Team

Richardson est nommé sur l’équipe d’étoiles



California City Middle School’s 8th grade girls and boys basketball teams attended a tournament in Bishop on January 11, and 12. Coach Daniel Williford said both teams "played great games." The boys team beat Bishop in the first round, 42-18; lost to Monroe of Ridgecrest 29-28 in the second round and took the third place trophy after beating Lone Pine. The girls lost to Bishop 16-15, beat Monroe 32-6 and beat Lone Pine 34-15 in a consolation game to take fourth place. 

Outstanding player was Cory Richardson who was selected as one of five players to the All Tournament Team. Richardson is the son of Desert News staffer Christina Scott. [News Article … Sent to the Chat _1-22-2002]


L’équipe de basket-ball des garçons et filles de huitième année de l’école de California City ont participé à un tournoi à Bishop les 11 et 12 janvier. Le coach Daniel Williford a déclaré que les deux équipes avaient fort bien joué. Les garçons ont battu Bishop dans la première ronde 42-18, ils ont perdu 29-28 contre Monroe de Ridgecrest dans la seconde ronde; Ils sont arrivés troisième après avoir battu Lone Pine. Les filles ont perdu 16-15 contre Bishop, ont battu Monroe 32-6 et battu Lone Pine 34-15 lors du tournoi consolation ce qui leur a valu une quatrième place. Cory Richardson a été un joueur marquant ce qui lui a valu d’être choisi sur l’équipe d’étoiles. Cory est le fils de Christina Scott, membre du personnel du journal Desert News. [Article envoyé au forum de clavardage le 22 janvier 2002]



January 10, 2001 _ San Antonio, TX

Chat members may recall that Don & Jan Dorn's granddaughter Wesley join the Air Force and left for basic training shortly after Thanksgiving 2001. Her parents, Steve and Ellen Dorn, were able to join her for the graduation ceremony. She is currently attending schooling in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Les membres du forum de clavardage se rappelleront que la petite-fille de Don et Jan Dorn est entrée dans l’aviation et a subi l’entraînement de base un peu après l’Action de Grâces 2001. Ses parents, Steve et Ellen Dorn se sont joints à elle pour la cérémonie de graduation. Elle suit présentement ses cours à Wichita Falls, Texas



Le 10 janvier 2001 San Antonio, Texas


By Marlyss Hernandez


Traduction par: Alain Gariépy

Four hundred and twenty-two messages came across the forum during the month of January. Many of these were best wishes for a happy and successful New Year. We lost a couple of members this month for a total of 314 cousins on our forum. 

OBITS: Henri Lanouette sent a record number of obits this month that he downloaded from a web site five at a time. He sent 105 obits, Tom Dufour sent 14 and Larry sent in one, so our file of Rivard and related obits is rapidly growing.


  • Anna Schlosser reported that her son, Travis, is on new medication that seems to be helping him.
  • Kim Revord received condolences on the death of her grandfather, Everett Albert Revord, on Jan. 10, 2002.
  • Nickie Cheney’s grandfather, Louie G. Rivers Sr, received prayers as he has colon cancer and an aneurysm. Both are inoperable.
  • Mary Ann Mickey’s husband, Dave, whose health is declining, also received prayers for better health.
  • John Bellefeuille who had a hernia operation, is home and recovering.


  • Mary Ann Boudreau on January 7
  • Dorothy Geissler on January 20


  • That Dawn is willing to help with the rendezvous coming up in Feb. 2003.
  • That there is a Lavigne Street in Dollard-des-Ormeaux. 
  • The correct information regarding our Osage cousin and story about her mom being in the movie "Cimarron".
  • That cousin AZ Larry makes mistakes (as we all do) and he knows how to correct them.
  • That Aloha Rober is back online with us using a new I Mar Computer. Welcome back, Rober. 
  • That a few cousins in the north are a bit jealous of Rober’s balmy Hawaiian weather and Larry’s weather out in Arizona.
  • That Niagara Falls was purchased by Jean de Cour from the Indians in 1788 for five dollars and a blanket. He hoped to use the waterpower to operate a mill, but was a failure.
  • That a former classmate of Tess Rivard’s was looking for her to inform her of a class reunion. She was located right here on our forum.
  • That "relict" refers to spouse, usually a surviving spouse, and "Inst" means the present month.
  • That we have a cousin named Nancy Rivard doing great charitable works.

HELP NEEDED (& in many cases, received)

  • Nickie asked about Peter/Pierre Rivard. Is the one in our database the same as the one listed on the social security page she found online. Mary Ann says that it is.
  • Ann (& Bill) asked if the Surprenant/Loranger obit was the connection they’ve been seeking. 
  • Tom Dufour is looking for a record of J.B. Rivard m. M. Josephte Beaulieu (Antoine & M. Josephte Jouran). J. B. is the son of Pierre and M. Climence Bry. The marriage date is 22-10-1804 in Kamouraska. Alain found the answer to this one.
  • Marlyss requested a lookup to clarify the maternal line of a Charbonneau ancestor. Alain, Anna and Lorraine all came to the rescue for her. 
  • Anna is looking for the Ill. Census records. Dawn, Mary and Ann offered their help here.


NEW VIRUS: W32.MY PARTY@MM. This one is not a hoax, so be sure to delete it if you should see it in your email.

The Badtrans virus visited a couple of cousins this month. Lorraine used "housecall antivirus" in the subject line of her search engine. It’s a free download from a website. This solved Lorraine’s problem. 

Our computer expert, Linda, recommends installing a firewall to protect your computer and all the information on it from hackers. She says one should expect to pay around $50, but many are having rebates at this time. She recommends Norton Personal Firewall Program. Jan recommended we try the free download at This is from Zone Alarm.

Sue B., Anna and Marlyss all had "bugs" that attack humans as they fought the flu, asthma and bad colds. Jan followed them getting the flu bug.


  • Sending birthday greetings sparked a discussion about what is appropriate for the forum when one cousin claimed it should be on the chat site. Mary Ann Mickey and Cindy Lacoursiere summed it all up very nicely – the forum is what we make it and what we want to record for future generations. To quote Mary Ann, "The forum is us". And so it is a composite of all. 
  • There was much discussion about a mini-rendezvous in Minnesota and/or Wisconsin this summer as it seems that many cousins will be in those states during this coming summer. Problem seems to be that they will all be coming and going at different times, but the "locals" hope to be able to have a few small get-togethers with those coming through.
  • Armand Loranger said he’d like to donate Volumes 25 to 49 from 1974 to 1990 issues of the Memories de La Societe Genealogique Canadienne-Française to some person, institution or organization. Mary Ann Mickey will receive them on behalf of the forum.
  • Alain posted pictures of Sévère Rivard who was the mayor of Montreal and owned the first car in town. There were also a couple pictures of Lorangers taken around 1890. They were VIP’s of Yamachiche. You will find photos of many Rivards, Lorangers, Lanouettes and Lavignes at the following URL:
  • Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (RAGK) has a new URL. It is
  • None of us want to have descendants like those that were mentioned in a message entitled "Cleaning Mother’s House" where the genealogist’s descendants cleaned the house of all the research the deceased relative had done over many years.
  • Alain’s been hot on the trail of finding connections for many orphan cousins.
  • Nina posted information on the Campeau family that may connect to some Rivards. These can be found in message number 24596 in the archives.
  • Tom posted the descendants of François-Xavier Maisonville Rivard dit Lorangers in message number 24686. 

That’s all for this month, Cousins. Keep on searching for great things come to those who seek.

Il y a eu 422 messages durant le mois de janvier sur le Forum. Plusieurs concernaient es vœux pour la Nouvelle Année. On a perdu quelques cousins durant le mois. On a maintenant 314 membres du Forum.

AVIS DE DÉCÈS : Henri Lanouette a établi un record en nous envoyant ses avis de décès qu’il charge cinq à la fois dans son ordinateur. Il en a envoyé 105, Tom Dufour 14, Larry 1. Notre dossier des avis de décès des Rivard grossit rapidement.


  • Anna Schlosser nous dit que son fils Travis reçoit une nouvelle médication qui semble bien l’aider.
  • Kim Revord a reçu des marques de sympathies à la mort de son grand-père, Everett Albert Rivord, le 10 janvier 2002 
  • On a prié pour le grand-père de Nickie Cheney, Louie G. Rivers, atteint d’un cancer du colon et un anévrisme. Il est inopérable.
  • On a prié pour le mari de Mary Ann Mickey, Dave, dont la santé décline.
  • John Bellefeuille opéré pour une hernie se remet à la maison.


  • Mary Ann Boudreau le 7 janvier
  • Dorothy Geissler le 20 janvier


  • Dawn est intéressée à aider l’équipe du rendez-vous de février 2003.
  • Il y a une rue Lavigne à Dollard-des-Ormeaux.
  • La vraie histoire du cousin Osage et de sa mère se retrouve de façon correcte dans le film « Cimarron. »
  • Le cousin AZ Larry fait des erreurs (comme nous tous) mais il sait comment les corriger.
  • Le cousin Aloha Rober est de retour avec son nouvel ordinateur 1 Mar. Bon retour Rober.
  • Quelques cousins du Nord sont un peu jaloux de la température d’une douceur délicieuse à Hawaï et de celle dont joui Larry en Arizona.
  • Jean de Cour a acheté des Indiens les Chutes du Niagara pour la somme de cinq dollars et une couverture en 1788. Il voulait utiliser la force motrice pour un moulin, mais ce fut un échec.
  • Un ancien confrère de Tess Rivard la recherchait pour lui faire part d’une réunion de classe. Elle est ici, car elle fait parti du Forum.
  • Le mot « relict (veuve) » réfère au conjoint, habituellement le conjoint survivant. « Inst » signifie le mois courant.
  • Une cousine Nancy Rivard est très impliquée dans des œuvres de charité.
AIDE DEMANDÉE (et dans bien des cas reçue.)
  • Nickie se demande si Peter/Pierre Rivard qu’on retrouve dans notre banque de données est le même qu’on retrouve dans la base de donnée de la sécurité sociale. Mary Ann dit oui.
  • Ann (et Bill) se demandent si l’avis de décès de Surprenant/Loranger n’est pas celui qu’ils recherchaient. 
  • Tom Dufour recherche des informations sur J.B. Rivard marié à Josephte Beaulieu (Antoine, Marie Josephte Jouran). Jean Baptiste est le fils de Pierre et Marie Clémence Bray. La date du mariage est le 22 octobre 1804 à Kamouraska. Alain a donné la réponse.
  • Marlyss recherchait la ligne maternelle d’un ancêtre Charbonneau. Alain, Anna et Lorraine l’ont aidé.
  • Anna cherche le recensement de l’Illinois. Dawn, Mary et Ann ont offert de l’aider.


Ce n’est pas une rigolade. Donc il faut immédiatement l’effacer de votre courriel si jamais vous le voyez. Le virus Badtrans a visité une couple de cousins durant le mois. Lorraine a utilisé « housecall antivirus » sur la ligne sujet de son engin de recherche. Ce programme est gratuit sur internet. Elle a ainsi solutionné son problème.

Linda, notre experte en ordinateur, recommande l’installation d’un coupe-virus afin de protéger votre ordinateur et ses informations contre les pirates. Le coût est d’une cinquantaine de dollars mais dit-elle, il y a des rabais chez plusieurs fournisseurs à ce temps-ci. Elle recommande le programme : «Norton Personal Firewall. » Jan recommande d’essayer le programme gratuit de Zone Alarm à

Sue B., Anna et Marlyss ont eu des bibittes qui attaquent l’humain alors qu’elles ont du combattre la grippe, l’asthme et de mauvais rhumes. Jan a suivi avec la grippe.


  • L’envoi de vœux de bonne fête a généré une discussion s’il est plus approprié de le faire sur le forum ou dans le clavardage. Mary Ann Mickey et Cindy Lacoursière ont conclu cette discussion très finement – le forum est ce qu’on en fait et ce qu’on veut que les prochaines générations retiennent. Comme le dit Mary Ann : « Le forum c’est nous. » C’est une combinaison de tout cela..
  • On a eu une discussion au sujet d’une mini-rencontre au Minnesota ou au Wisconsin. En effet plusieurs cousins doivent se rendre dans un de ces deux états durant l’été. Le problème c’est que les dates diffèrent mais les « locaux » espèrent pouvoir tenir de petites réunions avec ceux qui doivent venir.
  • Armand Loranger veut donner à une même personne ou institution sa collection des Mémoires de La Société de Généalogie Canadienne-Française les volumes 25 à 49 de 1974 à 1990. Mary Ann Mickey accepte le don au nom du forum.
  • Alain a affiché la photo de Sévère Rivard qui fut maire de Montréal et qui eut la première automobile dans son village. En plus, il a envoyé la photo d’une couple de Loranger prise vers 1890. Ce furent des gens importants nés à Yamachiche. On trouvera plusieurs autres photos de Loranger, Rivard et Lavigne au site suivant :
  • Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (RAGK) a un nouveau site à:
  • Aucun d’entre nous ne voudrait avoir de descendants du type mentionné dans le message : « En nettoyant la maison de Maman. » Les descendants de ce généalogiste ont jeté à la poubelle toute les recherches que leur parent pouvait avoir faites durant tant d’années.
  • Alain travaille activement à rechercher les orphelins de notre banque de données.
  • Nina nous a donné des informations sur les Campeau qui auraient des liens avec les Rivard. Voir le message # 24596 dans les archives.
  • Tom donne les descendants de François-Xavier Maisonville Rivard dit Loranger dans le message # 24686.
C’est tout pour ce mois-ci cousins et cousines. Continuez vos recherches; les grandes choses arrivent à ceux qui 


Reported by T-Tiger


Traduction par Alain Gariépy

There were 455 messages posted to the chat forum in the month of January beginning with "Well Wishes" for the New Year. The majority of these messages included; jokes, trivia and some very cute photos that lead to just plain fun conversations. Dottie took a page out of Jan's photo modification book and sent a real beauty of herself, Jan, and Marlyss. Many of these conversations gave the chat cousins their first smile of the day. 

PRAYERS & SUPPORT … were extended to:

  • Denise's step-mother who was scheduled for surgery on January 24th for an aneurysm and small blood clots on the brain. 
OBITUARY … Peg passed on the obituary of the Pillsbury Doughboy who died 11 January 2002 of a yeast infection and complications from repeated pokes in the belly. He was 71 years old. 

GRAMPA'S … Interesting stories of our grandfathers was passed on through the chat in January and will be followed up on in the future in a "Feature Section" of the Forum News. 

WEATHER … Weather is a frequent topic on the chat forum and January messages reflected that. When Chris bragged about sunny CA, she was blasted by replies from the cousins who were stuck inside as they watched a snow storm race through many sections of the US and Canada on January 31st

MAIL DELIVERY … A few of our members have been experiencing problem with there mail delivery once again. In Dottie and Peggy's case it appears to be that of an ISP (Inter-net Service Provider) verses a glitch in After about a week Dot's mail started coming in regularly, while Peggy is still without mail and fuming! She told her cousins on the chat that she would be changing servers as soon as she returned from sunny Mexico in February. Jacques, Peg, and the family will be taking a well-deserved vacation in a warmer section of the country come February. Jacques hopes that by the time they return the snow will all be gone and there will be no need to pull out his trusty shovel. 

INDOOR GRILLS … Another topic of interest was that of the popular in-door grills that allow you to cook nutritious meals in minutes. These meals are virtually grease-less and for some of us that is an important factor in our diets. Mary Ann Mickey also shared a recipe for "Emeril's Creole Seasoning" with me, which she found on the web site. We will be sharing this recipe next month after Alain recuperates from translating the Ingredient substitutes in our Dec. issue. He really got tired out doing that one and it isn't nice to work "French Angel's" too hard, especially when you know that golf season is coming up! Right, Alain???

USEFUL INFORMATION … a list of things to do in event that your credit cards are stolen or lost was sent to the chat by John B. and Dottie. This was a worthwhile message to print and keep in a safe place for future reference.

TWO SURVEYS … were sent to the Chat this month. The first was to determine how sexy your name was. According to studies the first letter of your name reveals your sexual identity. A list of definitions was given after each letter in the alphabet. I'll let you be the judge if these studies are accurate or not. The second survey was to determine if you were normal or abnormal. Most of the chat members flunked this one. 

I'VE LEARNED THAT … the famous words of Andy Rooney, a man who has the gift of saying so much with so few words was passed on this month by Jim L.. After this message was posted Dottie answered with a few choice words of her own that put a smile on every ones face. 

More things we learned in January:

  • The various reasons why people forward jokes.
  • The words women use (and what they mean). A must read for most men!
  • A True Old West Story
  • Using refill kits to refill the ink tanks or cartridges for your printer can save you a great deal of money. The downside is that it can be a very messy job. 
  • For the Health Conscious … a new exercise regiment for those of us getting on in years. 
  • Time and how precious it is!

JUST A REMINDER … The following message was sent to the chat and it bears repeating. "If you are going to forward material that is in an attachment PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, take it out of the attachment if it is text. Most of us do not like opening up attachments even though we have protection against viruses. It is easy enough to do and only takes a second. This will not work if there is a picture etc in the attachment but will work for text only. (If there is a picture in the original message a right click of the mouse will allow you to save it.) At that point you can insert it into the new message. What you do is simply cut and paste into a new e-mail and then send it on. This also allows you to get rid of all the garbage of who has received it before which, at times, can be a page or two." Thank you, Jim for this reminder.

On a reçu 455 messages sur le forum de clavardage durant le mois de janvier. Et tout ça a commencé avec les vœux pour la Nouvelle Année. La majorité de ces messages concernait des faces, de tout et de rien, et quelques belles photos qui nous ont incité à avoir de belles conversations joyeuses. Dottie a extrait une photo de l’album de Jan et en a envoyé d’elle-même, une réelle beauté, de Jan et de Marlyss. Ces échanges ont donné aux cousins leur premier sourire de la journée.


  • La belle-mère de Denise qui doit subir une opération le 24 janvier pour un anévrisme et des caillots de sang au cerveau.
DÉCÈS … Peg nous a envoyé l’avis de décès du Petit Bonhomme de Pillsbury décédé le 11 janvier 2002 d’une infection causée par la levure et de complications causées par des coups répétés sur le ventre. Il était âgé de 71 ans. 

GRANDS-PAPAS …Plusieurs histoires intéressantes concernant nos grand-pères ont circulé sur le forum de clavardage durant janvier. Nous allons faire une colonne sur ce sujet dans un prochain bulletin.

TEMPÉRATURE … On parle souvent de la température ce qui se reflète dans les messages de janvier. Lorsque Chris s’est vantée de la Californie ensoleillée, les cousins l’ont remise à sa place. Ils devaient rester à la maison à surveiller les flocons de neige qui tombaient en tempête dans plusieurs régions du Mexique et des Mexique le 31 janvier dernier.

LIVRAISON DU COURRIER … Quelques cousins ont eu encore une fois des problèmes de livraison du courrier. Il semble que le serveur de Dottie et de Peggy ne s’entendait pas avec Une semaine plus tard, Dot recevait ses messages avec régularité mais Peggy continuait à avoir des problèmes. Elle a dit aux cousins qu’elle changerait de serveur dès son retour du Mexique ensoleillé en février. Jacques, Peg et la famille prendront une vacance bien méritée dans une région plus chaude. Jacques espère bien qu’à leur retour la neige soit partie et qu’il n’aura plus besoin de sortir sa pelle si fidèle.

GRILLADES À L’INTÉRIEUR … On a aussi parlé de la cuisine qui permet de faire des grillades à l’intérieur et qui permet de cuisiner rapidement des mets nourrissants. Ces mets sont sans graisse, ce qui est important pour la diète de certains d’entre- nous. Mary Ann Mickey m’a envoyé une recette « Emeril’s Creole Seasoning » qu’elle a trouvé sur internet au site Cette recette paraîtra le mois prochain lorsque Alain aura récupéré de sa traduction au sujet des ingrédients de substitution parut dans le bulletin de décembre. Cela l’a réellement fatigué; il ne faut pas faire trop travailler notre « French Angel » surtout que la saison de golf s’en vient! N’est ce pas Alain? 

INFORMATION UTILE … John B. et Dottie ont publié sur le clavardage une liste de choses à faire en cas de vol ou de perte de vos cartes de crédit. Voilà un message utile à imprimer et à conserver dans un endroit sur pour référence future.

DEUX QUESTIONNAIRES … nous ont été envoyés ce mois-ci. Le premier afin de déterminer le nom le plus sexy. D’après certaines études, la première lettre de votre nom détermine votre identité sexuelle. On donnait une liste de définitions après chacune des lettres. Je vous fais juge afin de déterminer si ces études sont justes ou non. Le second questionnaire devait indiquer si vous êtes normal ou non. La plupart des membres du clavardage ont raté celui-ci.

J’AI APPRIS QUE … le mot de Andy Rooney, un homme qui a la faculté de dire beaucoup en peu de mots, nous a été envoyé par Jim L. Dès la réception de ce message Dottie a répondu avec quelques mots de son cru qui ont provoqué un sourire dans la figure de tous.

Autres choses que nous avons appris en janvier

  • Les diverses raisons pourquoi les gens envoient des plaisanteries.
  • Les mots que les femmes utilisent (et leur sens.) Ce que tout homme devrait lire!
  • Une vraie bonne vieille histoire de l’Ouest.
  • L’utilisation de kit pour remplir le réservoir de l’imprimante peut permettre d’économiser beaucoup d’argent. Mais c’est très salissant. 
  • Un nouvel exercice pour ceux d’entre nous qui vieillissions et qui sont conscients de leur santé.
  • Le temps et combien c’est précieux!
UN RAPPEL … Voici un message du clavardage qui mérite d’être répété, « Si vous devez envoyer un message avec un attachement, s’il vous plait (ter) si c’est du texte seulement placez-le dans le courriel. La plupart d’entre nous détestons les attachements même avec les antivirus. C’est facile à faire en quelques secondes. Évidemment il y a exception si vous envoyez des photos, graphiques, etc. (S’il y a une photo, un click sur la droite de la souris vous permettra de la sauver) Vous pouvez alors insérer un nouveau message. Faites coupez et collez dans un nouveau courriel et envoyez-le. Vous éliminez en même temps tout ce que vous ne voulez pas conserver, parfois une couple de pages. » Merci Jim pour ce rappel.




Traduction par Alain Gariépy

  • Wear an old glove to dust and wipe leaves off your plant. You get both sides with one easy stroke.
  • For a good cleaning, bathe leaves in a mixture of 1 part milk and 1 part water.
  • A garlic clove planted in the soil next to the plant will keep away many insects. Keep the garlic trimmed so it doesn't affect the look of the plant.
  • Ferns … don't like to be moved, so make certain they are where you want them and where they will do well. Planting a soggy tea bag in the potting soil helps keep them healthy.
  • Violets … need a good soaking periodically. Take them to the sink and fill them up. Afterward, let the excess water drain before returning them to their spots. Dissolve extra birth control pills in water for much healthier violets. Push rusty nails in the violet's soil for larger, brighter blooms.
  • Portez une paire pour enlever la poussière sur les feuilles de la plante. Vous faites ainsi les deux côtés à la fois
  • Pour un bon nettoyage, baignez les feuilles dans un mélange de une partie de lait et une partie d’eau.
  • À côté de votre plante, plantez une gousse d’ail permettra de d’éloigner la plupart des insectes. Taillez l’ail afin que cela n’affecte pas la beauté de votre plante.
  • Les fougères n’aiment pas être déplacées. Placez un sac de thé imbibé d’eau dans le sol pour les garder en santé.
  • Périodiquement, les violettes ont besoin d’un bon bain. Amenez-les à l’évier et remplissez le pot d’eau. Laissez s’écouler l’excès d’eau et ramenez-les à leur place habituelle. Arrosez-les avec de l’eau dans laquelle vous avez fait dissoudre une pilule pour le contrôle des naissances. Mettez dans le sol des vieux clous rouillés pour avoir de plus belles fleurs.


Basic Mexican Beef

2 pounds (97% lean) ground beef

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 cup ketchup

1/2 cup water

Brown the ground beef over high heat in an extra deep, 12 inch non-stick skillet, stirring frequently to break up the meat. While the meat browns, add the chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder.

When the meat is brown, reduce the heat to medium. Add the ketchup and water, and stir to mix well. Continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the water evaporates.

Freeze the meat mixture in 1-1/4 cup portions in three freezer-weight plastic bags. Use the frozen meat for Fiesta Beef Tacos or for tasty Mexican casseroles. 

To defrost the frozen meat, run the plastic bag under hot tap water to loosen the packaging. Remove the bag and place it in the microwave safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on the defrost setting, following the manufacturers instructions until the meat is fully defrosted. The meat mixture is now ready to use in a recipe. Makes 3-3/4 cups. 


Une base de bœuf mexicain

2 lbs de bœuf haché (extra-maigre)

2 cuil à thé de poudre de chili

1 cuil à thé de cumin moulu

1 cuil à thé de poudre d’oignon

1 cuil à thé de poudre d’ail

¼ tasse de ketchup

½ tasse d’eau

Faire brunir le bœuf à feu élevé dans une poêle en remuant fréquemment pour briser les mottes de viande. Pendant la cuisson, ajouter, ajouter la poudre de chili, le cumin, la poudre d’oignon et la poudre d’ail.

Lorsque la viande a perdu sa teinte rosée, réduire le feu à médium. Ajouter le ketchup et l’eau et bien mélanger. Faire cuire encore cinq minutes, en brassant occasionnellement, jusqu’à ce que l’eau s’évapore en grande partie. (Pour rendre encore la base plus piquante, remplacer le ketchup par une sauce Taco Sauce.)

Faire congeler la viande en portion de 1¼ tasse dans trois sacs en plastique. Utiliser cette base congelée pour faire des tacos au bœuf Fiesta ou pour une casserole mexicaine.

Pour décongeler la viande, passer un sac sous l’eau chaude du robinet. Enlever le sac et placer la viande dans un plat allant au four micro-onde. Suivre les instructions du manufacturier. Lorsque la viande est complètement décongelée, on peut maintenant l’utiliser pour faire la recette favorite. Cette recette fait 3¾ tasses.


In ancient times, the traditional color of bridal gowns was red. The wife of Napoleon III broke the tradition and wore a white gown. Then, brides began wearing white gowns (that were worn only once) as a symbol of their wealth.



Autrefois, les vêtements traditionnels de la mariée étaient rouges. La femme de Napoléon III a brisé cette tradition et a porté des vêtements blancs. C’est alors que les mariées ont commencé à porter du blanc (ces vêtements ne servaient qu’une seule fois) comme symbole de richesse.


A Lesson Learned?

A teacher asked her class "Which body part increases to 10 times its size when stimulated?"

No one answered for a long time until little Mary stood up, and indignantly said the teacher should not be asking 6th graders a question like that. She said that she was going to tell her parents that the teacher was using sexual innuendo, and therefore they would tell the principal; who would fire the teacher!

The teacher ignored her and asked the question again. "Which body part increases to 10 times its size when stimulated?"

Finally, Billy stood up and said that the body part that increases 10 times its size when stimulated is the pupil of the eye. The teacher said, "Very good Billy," then turned to Mary and said, "As for you, young lady, I have three things to say:

Number One … you have a dirty mind.

Number Two … you didn't read your homework.

And Number Three … one day, you will be very, very 


Quelle leçon!

Le professeur demande à la classe; « Quelle est la partie du corps qui s’agrandit 10 fois lorsque stimulée? »

C’est le silence complet. Soudain la petite Mary se lève, et dit de façon indignée que le professeur ne doive pas poser une telle question à des élèves de sixième. Elle ajoute qu’elle dira à ses parents que le professeur fait des insinuations sexuelles et qu’ils iront la dénoncer au directeur qui congédiera le professeur.

Le professeur l’ignore et pose la question une seconde fois. « Quelle est la partie du corps qui s’agrandit 10 fois lorsque stimulée? »

Finalement, Billy se lève et dit que la partie du corps qui s’agrandit 10 fois lorsque stimulée est la pupille de l’œil. Le professeur répond : «Très bien Billy.» Puis il se retourne vers Mary et dit : « Et pour vous jeune fille, j’ai trois choses à vous dire :

Un….. Vous avez un esprit malpropre. 

Deux.…. Vous n’avez pas lu votre leçon 

Et trois… Un bon jour, vous serez très désappointée! 



Until Next Month

Be kind to one another & keep smiling

Rendez-vous le mois prochain.

D’ici là soyez gentils les uns envers les autres et gardez le sourire